FOUNDATION OF ST. JOSEPH’S CONVENT SCHOOL, KHANDWA
The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step,” so says a Chinese proverb. And so began the journey of St. Joseph’s Convent H. S. School Khandwa. The request made by the Railway officers to the Franciscan Missionaries working in Khandwa, East Nimar Region, M.P., paved the way for a group of 3 sisters headed by Mother Dominique to impart English Education to the children of the railway Employees on 11th February 1892.
Thus the plan that God had in mind from all eternity, took birth as a tiny seed sowed in the heart of Khandwa city. Watered and nurtured by the hard work, patience and dedication of the Sisters and Staff, the appreciation of the parents, guardians and well wishers, and the encouragement and support of the officials and higher authorities, both religious and secular, this seed slowly but surely took the form of a mighty institution. Days, months and years have swiftly gone by, giving shelter, knowledge, love and care, to a great number of children, who have passed through its portals.
St. Joseph’s Convent H.S. School, Khandwa, was founded in 1892, by the Indian Province of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery, as per provisions of the Constitution of India part III Art. 30 (1). It is administered by the Sisters of St. Joseph’s Convent, Khandwa, in accordance with general rules governing the above Congregation.
The School is recognized by the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi. It prepares students for the All India Secondary and Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination.
The School is lovingly dedicated, as the name suggests, to St. Joseph, the foster father of Jesus Christ. Honouring him as the patron Saint of the School, every Josephite Student and Teacher is asked to inculcate in their lives, the virtues of St. Joseph, such as his Availability, Simplicity, Hospitality, Obedience, Cheerfulness, Purity, Courage, Faith, Humility and Loving Services.
In a world that is increasingly being torn as under by strife and violence, St. Joseph’s emphasizes the inculcation of above mentioned moral values and spiritual awareness in its students so that they can go out into the world as beacons of light and rays of hope and spread universal brotherhood, for future generations. The aims and ideals of the establishment are succinctly encapsulated in the school motto. ‘Virtue alone ennobles’. Apart from the constant quest for human and academic excellence the institution also encourages its students to participate in local, state and national level competitions with a view to broadening horizons and equipping them with an international outlook and global vision.
Everybody at St. Joseph’s believe that every child is a gift of God to mankind and pride of the human race and we should strive to make them potentially the light of the world. We uphold the view that school is a light house of the society, not just as it is but as it should be. The school creates an atmosphere that is free of all limitations, prejudices and distinctions.
The school integrates scholastic teaching with co-scholastic activities and sports at Intra and Inter-School level to ensure all round development of the child’s personality.
Several Managers & Principals have been at the helm, working tirelessly, along with a band of faithful and dedicated teachers to bring the school to its present stature.
Those worthy of mention are as follows:-
Managers / Principals of St. Joseph’s Convent Higher Secondary School, Khandwa
|SERVICE TENURE||MANAGERS / PRINCIPALS|
|1892 – 1897||Mother M. Dominique|
|1897 – 1900||Mother Monica|
|1900 – 1913||Mother Gasarine|
|1913 – 1914||Mother Alexis|
|1914 – 1924||Mother Mary Clare|
|1924 – 1931||Mother Stanislaus|
|1931 – 1934||Mother Cesarie|
|1934 – 1943||Mother Mary Bernard|
|1943 – 1947||Mother Columba|
|1947 – 1948||Mother Ann Teresa|
|1948 – 1954||Mother Mechetilde|
|1954 – 1957||Mother Ann Teresa|
|1957 – 1958||Mother Mary Assunta|
|1958 – 1960||Sister Emanuel|
|1960 – 1962||Sister Benigna|
|1962 – 1968||Sister Ann Charlotte|
|1968 – 1974||Sister Delphine|
|SERVICE TENURE||MANAGERS||SERVICE TENURE||PRINCIPALS|
|1974 – 1977||Sister Monica||1974 – 1980||Sister Monica|
|1977 – 1983||Sister M. Agapit||1980 – 1998||Sister M. Alexis|
|1983 – 1989||Sister M. Sabina|
|1989 – 1993||Sister M. Agapit|
|1993 – 1998||Sister M. Sabina|
|1998 – 2000||Sister Eugenie||1998 – 2005||Sister M. Sabina|
|2000 – 2003||Sister M. Stanislaus|
|2003 – 2006||Sister M. Loretta||2005 – 2011||Sister Asha Jose|
|2006 – 2008||Sister M. Gertrude|
|2008 – 2011||Sister Maria Joseph|
|2011 – 2013||Sister Veena||2011 –||Sister Arpita Joseph|
|2013 –||Sister Clotilde|